Monday, July 5, 2010

The Korean countryside.


Much of the area around Songsan is rural Korea, and almost every usable bit of land has something cultivated on it. The sun has never properly come out yet since I’ve been here, and as such everything always has this interesting misty or hazy look. On Sunday Robin and I went for a walk along one of the hillsides, on a road that kind of wound through a bunch of little farms.




There don’t seem to be any big ranches, but rather lots of small pens of cattle.



And of course, rice is everywhere. Every rice field has a pang lo, or white crane, although I have not yet been able to catch one on camera.




Songsan is also a big grape-producing area, and there’s a good chance that if you don’t see rice, you’ll see grapes growing instead.



The view from my hotel room looks out on a little vineyard tucked into an unused space, and across the road to the left of this picture is a little garden growing beans, peppers, cabbage, lettuce, and green onions. I suspect a lot of what I eat in the restaurants may come from very close by!

3 comments: